Senior Manager, Public Relations
|Salary Range:||High 40s/annual salary|
|Benefits:||Full employer-paid medical, dental, disability, and life. Employee-sponsored retirement plan|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
The Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau is Durham’s marketing agency, helping draw nearly 10 million leisure visitors and business travelers to this vibrant, eclectic city last year. With growing national media attention on Durham's many accolades and attractions, we're looking for an ambitious Senior Manager, Public Relations with strong media relations skills to help build awareness and bring even more visitors to our door.
The Durham Convention and Visitors Bureau offers exceptional benefits, including employer-paid insurance premiums for staff, generous retirement contributions, an enviable vacation and holiday allowance, and a great team of coworkers. Plus, you’ll work in a newly-renovated space on Main Street in the heart of downtown Durham and report to DCVB’s Chief Marketing Officer. As Senior Manager, Public Relations, you can expect a salary in the high 40s.
For more information about the DCVB, visit us at Durham-NC.com.
Primary Role Objective:
Increase local, regional, national, and international visibility and recognition of Durham as an attractive destination for leisure, business, and sports visitors by managing strategic PR efforts and providing assistance to inquiring journalists.
- Develop and execute strategic, proactive PR programs designed to maximize media coverage supportive of desired messages and target audiences. Key business segments include leisure visitors, meeting and convention planners, and sports league event planners.
- Build and nurture relationships with media and influencers in specifically targeted content verticals that contribute to overall Bureau marketing objectives.
- Contribute to editorial calendar planning and ideation.
- Develop itineraries and manage logistics for visiting journalists and bloggers; conduct press tours as requested.
- Assist with selection of PR agency and freelancers, and supervise day-to-day efforts of all external PR resources.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with PR and PI leaders in Durham government, business, and tourism-related organizations; lead monthly roundtable meetings of interested peers and promote opportunities for collaboration.
- Oversee tracking of media coverage and assists; develop and provide regular reporting on PR activities and results.
- Contribute to content development for social media and publications as needed.
- Develop and maintain media kits and supporting materials.
- Provide coaching to local business owners on PR practices and provide press material distribution services.
- Assist local festival producers with event promotion and media relations support.
- Produce and distribute DCVB press releases and media alerts as appropriate.
- Able to manage all aspects of proactive and reactive media relations activities.
- Able to position and communicate Durham’s unique strengths, attractions, and accomplishments effectively, tailoring messages to targeted journalists, media outlets, and audiences.
- Able to develop and execute creative and strategic communications plans.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Able to communicate and collaborate effectively with internal and external colleagues, vendors, agencies and stakeholders.
- Able to work nights and weekends as required to host visiting journalists, particularly during Spring and Fall busy seasons.
Education and Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or similar field.
- 4-7 years’ experience managing strategic public relations programs and media relations.
- Strong knowledge of Durham’s strengths and attractions.
- Substantial public relations experience in the tourism or hospitality industries, working with regional and national travel and tourism press.
- Public relations experience associated with sports journalism and sports commissions.
- Public relations experience associated with public events and festivals.
- Experience managing social media channels.
- Durham resident.
|Click Here to Download Complete Job Description|